ALBUQUERQUE, NM--(Marketwired - October 02, 2013) - The New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange (NMHIX) announced that 29 businesses enrolled in the SHOP (Small Business Health Options Program) during the first 45 minutes after enrollment opened at 8 a.m. yesterday. By noon, more than 100 businesses from across the state had enrolled, including many in rural areas, with that number jumping to 170 by 4 p.m. and to 292 by 8 a.m. today.
In addition, NMHIX opened its bilingual call center, 1-855-99NMHIX, to handle calls 24/7 starting at 8 a.m. yesterday morning (as scheduled), with 167 calls received by 4 p.m. which took on average 149 seconds to answer. The two informational websites, www.BeWellNM.com (English) and www.SeguroQueSiNM.com (Spanish) were live and had received a total of 57,838 hits with 43,514 unique visitors for the day (Oct. 1, 2013).
More than 200 insurance agents and brokers were certified on the NMHIX as of Oct. 1, and hundreds of Health Care Guides began offering assistance to individuals and businesses. Agents, brokers and Health Care Guides can answer questions and help New Mexicans get enrolled in the health insurance plan that best meets their needs.
During the past five months, the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange has planned and implemented an extensive marketing, education and community outreach program that includes the following:
- A statewide marketing and public relations campaign that includes television spots, radio spots, outdoor boards, newspaper advertising and collateral (brochures, fact sheets and posters) in English and Spanish as well as radio spots in Navajo
- Bilingual websites and a presence on many social media outlets, including Facebook and Twitter
- A custom song, "Be Well," on YouTube
- More than 85 events throughout New Mexico in September and October sponsored by more than 40 partners including the Association of Commerce and Industry; the New Mexico Association of Counties; the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce; local chambers of commerce; Native American tribes, pueblos and organizations; nonprofit healthcare organizations; the University of New Mexico; New Mexico State University; and many others
- Enrollment at more than 200 sites statewide staffed with as many at 370 trained Health Care Guides
- A bilingual Call Center in Alamogordo that will operate 24/7 for at least the first six months of operation, and be will be open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. after that time
"Our strategy has been to make participating in the Exchange as easy as possible. We have also recognized that it is critical to engage hundreds of people who live and work in our state as our partners to help communicate to others and to have boots on the ground in literally every corner of New Mexico. Today has been a great beginning, but it's only a beginning and we look forward to improving on what we are doing every day going forward," said Mike Nuñez, NMHIX interim CEO.
The estimated number of individuals in New Mexico who may enroll for health insurance through NMHIX in 2014 is about 83,000. The initial enrollment period is from Oct. 1, 2013-March 30, 2014 with coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2014. For more information, visit www.BeWellNM.com or www.SeguroQueSiNM.com or call 1-855-99NMHIX (1-855-996-6449).
About New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange
NMHIX was created to help individuals and small businesses get access to affordable health insurance plans. NMHIX will also help consumers compare health insurance plans, learn about premium assistance that is available, and choose the plan that works best for their health needs and budget.
The following files are available for download: